Navigate / search

Work hold-ups

Last Thursday (11th August) I had to contact IT department regarding domain name transfer from the old server to a new one. My main contact was one of the heads of the IT center.

He said he can only transfer the IP address without changing the physical path. To complete the full process I have to wait for an another guy, which is supposed to come back from his vacation the following Sunday (and there is no one else who can solve this in his place).

So,  patiently, I waited for Sunday through the weekend. Thankfully, the guy came back and he was very responsive when I contacted him. Eventually, I got the complete response the following Thursday (yesterday), saying that this cannot be done this week. Note that that Thursday was the last working day as we were froced to take our annual leave from 21st to 31st August (last 10 days of Ramadan).

So, now I’m stuck without an update for the site and facing constant insistence from my supervisor to complete that website as we face a long vacation afterwards. So, instead of pointing fingers without anything to be solved, I decided to use the old server by replacing the old design of the website to the new one. As simple as that!

The good side is that I get to work 1 hour overtime which means extra $!!!
The bad side is that I’m not sure how professional it looks like, though the director did mention he didn’t care even if the registration was plain white page with black text, since this what matters the most with the website!

I’m really proud that I came up with the replacing idea (thanks to khawater 7 by Ahmed Al-Shugairi *), yet frustrated that I didn’t think of this earlier >.<

Anyways, take a look: www.econf.uob.edu.bh and tell me what you think!!

 

* http://www.andalusiah.com/

Back to work.. for an hour..!!

So.. I went to work (UOB) today to update some ‘critical’ information in the application I was working on. With the recent incident in the university, no one is to go there, except those with special permits.

This incident, if no one knew about it already, featured some vandalisms who attacked the university on Sunday, 13 March, 2011. Thankfully, I was on sick-leave on that day due to cold and a sore throat. Therefore, the university closed its doors, no students, no faculty and no staff to undergo investigations.
I’ve been stuck at home with nothing to do for two weeks until things got better and stable and was finally able to go out and enjoy my ‘open vacation’. Now, don’t get me wrong, it is indeed fun enjoying my free vacation, but it still hurts for what happened there.
People were hurt and injured badly. Sectarianism increased rapidly. Buildings were vandalized. Windows were broken. Cars were smashed. Trust was destroyed. Study was postponed until further notice (I worry for those who were supposed to graduate this semester :().
Back to original topic, as I went back to my office, I had a time limit to work only for an hour. I wasn’t worried as the update I needed to do would take me 5-10 minutes max. Sadly, I messed up the system as “Query Strings” were involved.
I’m not sure if I did mess it up or it was originally messed up and I just found out about it, but bottom line, the site now looks exactly the same with nothing edited :p I basically went there for nothing!
It really annoys me when something is working perfectly on your local machine, but it’s all f-ed up online.. especially when it has something to do with the path.. I hate fixing different versions of the path, one for local and one for online.. ugh..
Anyways, I took a copy of my application hoping I’d be able to install .NET on my personal laptop and work this shit out 🙂